Thursday, January 1, 2015

Publix - Why I enjoy Shopping There

For a number of reasons, I really enjoy shopping at my local Publix - over Walmart, Winn-Dixie, Target, and Fresh Market. If Whole Foods and Trader Joe's were closer, I would buy some things at those stores, but would still do the bulk of my shopping at my neighborhood Publix. There are a few things I do not buy at Publix - wine and baguettes.

For starters, I really like the employees. They seem much more customer-focused than those at any other supermarket chain. Almost all are friendly and helpful. There are some I especially like because they recognize me and really go out of their way to be helpful - Janet in the Deli Department, Bill in the Meat Department, and Thomas who packs groceries. One cashier I've gotten to know in the past few months is Sherri. She is both superb at her work and very customer-focused. I look forward to seeing them. I have learned a lot from Janet, Bill, and  Sherri. There are others I like as well, including Larry, Buck, and Marla.

I have also been very impressed with the attitudes and work ethics of the young Publix employees, many of whom are high school students.

I think that one of the key reasons for the great employee attitudes is that Publix is employee-owned. The only ones who can buy stock are Publix employees. Among their benefits are semiannual dividends. Consequently, they are very motivated to ensure Publix success.

I like the selection and store layout much better than those of competitors.

I love the Buy-One-Get-One-Free (BOGO) offers at Publix; for example, "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter," which we use a lot. The 15 oz. size sells for about $3.69 at Publix and $2.88 at Walmart. We always buy it at the BOGO price of two for $3.69. (It would be even less expensive to buy the Walmart 45 oz. size for $6.28, but that would not work well in our refrigerator.) I estimate (from my database) that I've purchased about 150 BOGO items in 2014 and saved about $650 over Publix normal prices for those items.

I also buy the Publix store brands of some items, like peanut butter and antacid calcium supplements (Tums equivalents).

Publix is very good at accepting competitor coupons if the competitor is within a reasonable distance of the Publix in question. (Each store posts a list of those they accept.) I used many, many Winn-Dixie $5 off $30 coupons and a few similar Target and Fresh Market coupons during the past year.

(When it comes to coupons, I can't begin to match my incredibly skilled sister, who seems to be able to buy $1 million worth of groceries for 15 cents at Publix:) )

I often take advantage of the Publix sales on gasoline gift cards and Master Card/Visa gift cards. These sales normally offer $10 off a $50 card with the purchase of $50 in groceries. With the credit card gift cards, there is a $4.85 activation fee, so that reduces the savings to $5.15 - but that is the equivalent of getting $5.15 in cash for free. The savings on the gas cards equates to 20% per gallon. The savings are even better when you consider the pre-income tax savings. For example, if your top income is in the 15% bracket, you would have to earn about $11.75 to spend $10. If your top income is in the 25% bracket, you would have to earn about $13.33.

Publix has a very friendly return policy. On the rare occasions I have had to return an item, the process has been smooth, friendly, and fast.

Like some other merchants, Publix will give you an item for free if the employees or the customer discover it has been mismarked. On one occasion, I was looking for four packages of chicken breasts that were supposed to be on sale. When I could not find the sale-priced chicken breasts, I asked. Bill discovered that the chicken breasts had been incorrectly marked. I was given the packages for free. (I did not have to ask.)

Publix is terrific at resizing and repackaging Publix brand items to meet customer needs. For example, if I only need two Italian sausages for a dish I'm cooking, but the packages all have four or more sausages, the butchers will readily repackage two for me.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for Publix because I learned the basics of cooking at their Apron's cooking school at the store at University and Tuttle.

Wine is one item I rarely purchase at Publix because their prices are usually significantly higher than those at Total Wine or Norman's. For example, I have seen Antinori's Peppoli for $24.99 at Publix and $19.99 at Norman's. Another example is Villa Antinori, which sells for $19.99 at Publix, $15.99 at Norman's, and as low as $13.67 at Total Wine with a $10 off $50 coupon. If I am looking for special wines, I will go a bit farther afield to Michael's Wine Cellar (Michael Klauber is terrific.).

Whenever I need baguettes for something like crostini appetizers for an Italian dinner, I always buy the baguettes at Fresh Market. They are far superior to the Publix version. (However, the Publix key lime pies are terrific.)

I do like to buy produce at Detwiler's Farm Market or Yoder's Marketplace, but they are not close enough to home to do regular shopping there.

I also like some of the Fresh Market ready-to-heat items like Quiche Lorraine.

The only way I wish Publix would emulate Walmart is to reach an agreement with the Coalition of Immokalee Workers to pay one cent more per pound for tomatoes to help the farm workers receive reasonable pay for their backbreaking work.  Until then, I am motivated to buy my tomatoes elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment