Saturday, January 17, 2015

Levantine Lamb & Asparagus Stew

I inherited a Palestinian-American cookbook called, "Sahtein," from my mother. (Sahtein is the Arabic equivalent of "bon appetit.") This cookbook contains Palestinian, Lebanese, and Syrian recipes. I have the 1979 version, which was published by the Arab Women's Union of Detroit. An unspecified version of this cookbook is available from the web site of the American Federation of Ramallah, Palestine (http://www.afrp.org/about-us/books/)

I have decided to try some of the easier recipes. The first I tried is a delicious lamb and asparagus stew. I have added a few details and slightly rearranged the instructions to make it easier to follow. It is supposed to serve 4. However, my wife and I managed to finish it all ourselves.

It is served over long-grained rice prepared separately.

Ingredients

- 3 tbsp butter or margarine (I used olive oil.)
- 1 lb fresh asparagus spears, cut into 2" pieces, and with tough bottom portion broken off. Wash and drain.
- 1/2 lb lamb, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- juice of one lemon (My wife thought this was too much. I thought it was perfect.)
- salt, pepper, and allspice to taste (I used 1/2 a tbsp of allspice.)

Directions

1. Heat butter, margarine, or oil in skillet over medium heat. 

2. Sauté meat and onions until lamb is light brown.

3. Add water, salt, pepper, and allspice. Cook until tender. I believe it took about 5 minutes.

4. Add asparagus and simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender.

5. Add lemon juice and stir. 

6. Serve with or over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment