Monday, January 26, 2015

Lamb, Mushroom, and Onion Stew

This delicious and easy lamb stew recipe is a modification of a recipe I found in the Sahtein Levantine cookbook, which I mentioned in an earlier posting. The next time, I will try modifying it even more by adding raisins. The modifications I made were to add garlic and to replace the water with wine. (I suppose I shouldn't say, "changing the water to wine.")

It is served over cooked rice.

This version serves two, but you can easily scale it up. 

Ingredients

- 2 tbsp butter or margarine. (You could also do olive  oil.)
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, washed and cut if too large
- 1/2 to 1 lb lamb cubed (I prefer 1 lb)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and allspice (or adjust to your taste)
- 3/4 cup of water or red wine (I used a Barbera d'Alba, which worked fine.)

Directions

Brown meat & onions in a pan over medium heat until light brown - about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and simmer for 6 minutes. (Taste a piece of lamb after 6 minutes to be sure it is tender and cooked through.)
- Add lemon juice.
- Serve over rice.

Doesn't get much easier than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment