Friday, June 24, 2016

Single Skillet Pasta Dish - Angel Hair or Spaghetti

I wanted to try making a spaghetti dish with all the ingredients combined in a skillet instead of making the pasta and the sauce separately. Of course, I did an Internet search, and found one that was easy and delicious. It was on a video, which made it even easier. I made a couple of changes to adapt it to the ingredients I had on hand. This version produced two generous servings. I highly recommend watching the video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VQEJARHJ44

Ingredients

- long thin pasta (I  used 4 oz. of thin spaghetti)
- 1/2 an onion sliced very thin
- 1 green pepper sliced very thin (This was not in the original recipe)
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes sliced very thin (I used a 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes, including the juice in the can.)
- a small amount of sliced chili pepper (I skipped this ingredient.)
- a handful of basil leaves - half for the cooking and half to sprinkle on top after cooking
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced very thin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pecorino cheese to grate over finished pasta (I used Parmesan)
- olive oil to drizzle over ingredients before cooking
- cold water or chicken broth sufficient to cover ingredients in pan (I used a combination of water and the tomato juice from the canned tomatoes.)

Another ingredient I'd like to add next time is sliced green olives.

Directions

Lay the pasta in the bottom of a deep skillet.

Lay the onion, garlic, pepper, tomatoes, chili, and half the basil leaves on and around the spaghetti..

Drizzle olive oil on top of the ingredients.

Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.

Cover the ingredients with cold water and or chicken broth.

Turn the heat on high and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes starting from the time the heat is turned on. Stir from time to time and check the spaghetti to make sure it's al dente.

Grate pecorino on top of the finished pasta.

Add remaining basil leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment