Sunday, December 16, 2018

NOLA - An Emeril Lagasse Restaurant - Love It


Celebrity Chef Emeril Lagasse is renowned for his mastery of Creole and Cajun cuisine, so I decided to try his NOLA[1] (https://emerilsrestaurants.com/nola) restaurant in the French Quarter of New Orleans after I checked out the menu and saw the great reviews.

Chef Lagasse has four restaurants in New Orleans and seven in other parts of the U.S. Because of his reputation for Creole and Cajun cuisine, I’d always assumed he was from Louisiana. Wrong. It turns out that he was born in Massachusetts to a French-Canadian father and Portuguese mother.

The meal I had was superb.

I decided to have a variety of smaller dishes rather than a large main course.

I started with House-made Andouille Sausage with wildflower honey mustard and jardinière (pickled vegetables, including onions and carrots). It was served on a biscuit and was terrific. It cost $10.

Next I had smoked salmon cheesecake boulettes with green onion coulis, cured egg yolk, and salmon roe for $11. It was wonderful.

Then I had St. Paul’s Gumbo – a sausage gumbo – with rice on top for $7. Of the six gumbos I tried in New Orleans, it was my favorite.

For dessert, I had chocolate bread pudding with a cranberry coulis for $10. It was perfect.

The wine I had was a 2012 Au Bon Climat Syrah called Emeril’s Red, Red Wine. I had the large glass for $15. It was very nice.

I ended the meal with an espresso for $5.50.

The service was excellent.

Like most of the other restaurants I went to in New Orleans, it was loud and lively.


[1] NOLA is an abbreviation used in New Orleans and stands for New Orleans Lousisiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment