Friday, December 14, 2018

Maison Dupuy Hotel, French Quarter, New Orleans


I recently spent four nights at the Maison Dupuy hotel (http://www.maisondupuy.com/) at 1001 Toulouse St. in the French Quarter of New Orleans. I chose the hotel because of a combination of location, reputation, and price. My bottom line is that I was happy with my choice, and would stay there again.

It is in a quiet residential area just two blocks north of raucous Bourbon St., and is in easy walking distance of most French Quarter places of interest.

My king-size room was spacious, comfortable, and well-maintained by the cleaning staff. The two shortcomings were that I had to ask for a TV remote, and neither I nor a member of the staff could get the safe to work.

Dawn and Ray, the two concierges I dealt with during my stay, were terrific. They were very knowledgeable, friendly, and extremely helpful.

Check-in time was not until 4 p.m., and I arrived about 10 a.m., so I left my luggage with the valet and went sightseeing. Just after 3 p.m., the front desk phoned to inform me that my room was ready.

My average cost per night, including taxes, but not including breakfast, was $161. I made my arrangements through Expedia.

I ate at the hotel’s Bistreaux restaurant four times – three times for breakfast, and once for dinner. At breakfast, I just had croissants, which were fine, and coffee. For dinner, I had a cup of chicken and andouille sausage gumbo for $5, two crab cakes over fried green tomato with a creole remoulade for $16, and a glass of Scotto Family Old Vine Zinfandel $8. The food and wine were good, but did not compare to what I had at other restaurants in town. While most of them were more expensive, the breakfast at the Café Fleur-de-lis was in the same price range, but out of this world. Servers at the Bistreaux were not high energy. Servers everywhere else were better.

No comments:

Post a Comment