Saturday, December 15, 2018

New Orleans School of Cooking Hands-on Class - A Delicious Experience


Since I really enjoy eating New Orleans creole cuisine, I decided that a hands-on cooking class would be a great way to become better acquainted. I chose a three-hour class at the New Orleans School of Cooking (https://neworleansschoolofcooking.com/) at 524 St. Louis St. in the heart of the French Quarter. It was a good choice.

The class cost $147.34. The price included not only beverages such as wine and beer, but also a New Orleans School of Cooking apron. I made the reservation on TripAdvisor.

The class began at 10:00 a.m., and involved cooking and eating three dishes - andouille sausage and chicken gumbo, shrimp and grits, and Bananas Foster crêpes. The dishes are all relatively simple to prepare at home.

At the beginning of the class, we were provided with copies of the recipes of the dishes we would be preparing.

I chose to drink a red wine during the class. It was a very nice 2016 Trinity Oaks Napa Pinot Noir.

There were nine people in the class. The maximum number per class is ten. Our chef, Matt, was personable, talented, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic. He had an undergraduate degree in cooking.

The kitchen contained five induction cooktops. Two students were assigned to each. My partner was a charming young woman from Georgia who had recently graduated from law school.

All of the ingredients were already measured out and waiting on a table to the rear of the cooktop. As soon as we used an ingredient, a staff member swooped up the empty container and took it away. (I wish that would happen when I cook at home.)

Matt started the class by talking about the history of Louisiana cuisine and its peoples. He was very informative. He educated us on the easy-to-understand, essential differences between creole and Cajun cuisine.

Then we began cooking. Matt carefully instructed us on each step and oversaw what we were doing. He quickly corrected any mistakes we were making.

After we finished cooking, we sat down to enjoy the results, which were terrific. Of the six gumbos I tried in New Orleans, I would rate this one the second best – with the best being next door at Chef Emeril Lagasse’s NOLA restaurant.

The only shortcoming was that the recipes did not contain all of the great tips Matt provided. For example, he told us that the color of the roux we were making for the gumbo should be the color of peanut butter. That was very helpful. There were too many such tips to write them while cooking.

I realized late in the day that I had forgotten my complimentary apron. I returned to the school the next day, showed my receipt for the class, and was given an apron – thanks!

The school also has a store with foods, spices, books, cooking instruments, decorations, etc. They will ship items purchased.

I highly recommend this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment