Friday, June 26, 2015

Tilapia with Old Bay - Delicious and Super Easy

Since both tilapia and Old Bay seasoning are on sale at Publix this week and I enjoy both, I looked for a dish that combined the two. I found this winner on food.com (http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-baked-fish-haddock-cod-tilapia-475533) It's really easy and it tastes terrific. The recipe's author states it can be used with tilapia or cod or haddock.

During the many years we lived in Maryland, we loved steamed crabs with Old Bay seasoning, a traditional Maryland dish. The taste of this dish reminds us a bit of the steamed crabs. It might be a nice alternative for a diner with a shellfish allergy.

I originally used the amount of Old Bay suggested in the recipe, but when I tasted the finished product, I decided to double the amount of Old Bay by sprinkling more on my tilapia. That made it perfect for my taste. (The recipe's author does suggest adjusting the seasoning to one's tastes.)

I love tilapia not only for its taste, but because it works well with so many different spice combinations.

Ingredients

- Three 5-oz fillets of tilapia or cod or haddock. (The author recommends for 4-oz fillets - essentially the same amount of fish, but different number of servings.)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning (or to taste - I used 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste - I used 3/4 teaspoon)

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees

Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish (I did it by coating the bottom with olive oil.)

Place the fillets in the baking dish and coat with melted butter.

Season with Old Bay and garlic salt (I mixed the two first) If desired, add additional butter, Old Bay, and/or garlic salt.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. (38 minutes worked perfectly for our oven.)



No comments:

Post a Comment