Sunday, June 7, 2015

Terrific Corn, Zucchini, and Tomato Soup with Basil

I recently decided that I wanted to cook a soup that included corn, zucchini, and tomato. I initially thought I would create my own recipe, but when I did a bit of Internet searching for inspiration, I discovered a recipe that sounded really good. It was! This particular one was at http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/corn-tomato-and-zucchini-soup-with-basil/. I found similar ones at other web sites.)

There are a couple of differences between the original recipe and what I cooked. Instead of using 4 ears of corn on the cob, I took the easier route of using a can of cooked Libby's sweet corn. I also used two medium tomatoes instead of the two cups mentioned in the original.

While the original said it serves 4, I found that it produced enough for about 8 bowls. I loved it so much that I had three bowls the first night.

Below is my version. If you want to try the version with corn on the cob, I recommend that you visit the web site above for detailed instructions:

Ingredients
- 1 large onion, minced (I used a sweet yellow onion)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced (the original called for 6 cloves of unspecified size)
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini shredded or diced. (I diced two medium zucchini)
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped
- salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 15-oz. can of Libby's cooked sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar - red wine, balsamic, or white (I used Badia a Coltibuono red wine vinegar. If you're ever in Tuscany - visit Badia a Coltibuono near Gaiole in Chianti!)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil leaves
- grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
1. In a large soup pot, saute the onion over medium-low heat until tender and translucent. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add zucchini, tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and a few cracks of pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the broth and corn, and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and basil. Taste and reseason with salt and pepper, if needed. Serve with Parmesan cheese and crusty bread. 



No comments:

Post a Comment