Saturday, June 20, 2015

Seasons 52 at University Town Center - Excellent

During the past year my wife and I have enjoyed four wonderful meals at Seasons 52 Restaurant in the University Town Center near Lakewood Ranch. (Some dishes I mention in this article may not be available because the restaurant changes its menu with the seasons. The current menu is available on the Seasons 52 web site: https://www.seasons52.com/en/our-menu/current-menu/FL/Sarasota/4540)

Last night, my wife and I had another terrific meal there, in part thanks to a gift card from terrific friends. 

My wife had the grilled rack of lamb ($27), which she'd had on two previous occasions. On one of those occasions, it was cooked to perfection. On the second, it was overcooked. This time, it was back to perfection. As an appetizer, she had the roasted tomato caprese with basil pesto for $9. She loved it.

My appetizer was a cup of the Porcini Mushroom Bisque with sour cream for $5. It was fantastic.

My main course was the Southern Style Shrimp & Grits with shrimp, chorizo, bacon, and stone ground cheddar grits for $19.50. I enjoyed every bite.

I had an excellent side of Roasted Basciani Farms Mushrooms with spinach stuffing, panko crust, and parmesan for $5.80. It was delicious.

Her dessert was a mini mocha macchiato mousse with chocolate cake, caramel sauce, and whipped cream for $3. It was very tasty.

Our wine was a 2012 Mauritson Sonoma Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel for $48. It was excellent. (I noticed that there wine prices, like many restaurants, are about three times the retail store price.

Our server was Irina, a terrific professional, who had served us on another occasion. She was perfectly attentive.

To celebrate a birthday in the summer of 2015, all seven members of our family - three generations - enjoyed our meals. Three of us, including me, had the shrimp and grits, which were terrific. My wife had the oak-grilled rack of lamb, which she had loved before. This time, they were overcooked, albeit still moist.

We shared the fig and bacon flatbread appetizer. It was terrific.

The first wine I had was the French Jolie Saison Gamay, for $44. I enjoyed it. For laughs, I also tried a glass of the Macedonian "Macedon" red wine. It was drinkable, but I would not buy it again. 

Our server, Michael H., did an excellent job.

On a previous occasion, we shared a couple of delicious appetizers:
- Shrimp Scampi Skillet - shrimp, roasted plum tomatoes, parsley, garlic butter, bruschetta for $9.95. It was very nice.
- Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli with tomato broth, roasted garlic, and basil for $8.75. It was fantastic!

On two occasions, I had a cup of the Asparagus Soup with Lemon Chantilly Cream for $4.95. It was terrific!

On the first occasion, my wife's main course was Caramelized Grilled Sea Scallops with creamy lemon risotto, English peas, and roasted asparagus for $23.50. It was delicious.

This time, she had Oak-Grilled Rack of Lamb with spring vegetables, Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, and shallot jus for $26.95. It was fantastic - perfectly cooked and very tender.

My entrée in March was Lemon and Herb-Roasted Whole Branzino, a Mediterranean fish, with Meyer lemon, thyme, broccolini, and crushed roasted potatoes for $27.50. I loved it! (I don't remember seeing Branzino on a U.S. restaurant menu before this.) 

My entrée this week was Wild Alaskan Copper River Salmon with sweet corn risotto, toybox tomatoes, and snap peas for $27.95.

On each occasion, we had tasty small dessert cups such as Moccha Macchiato, Belgian Chocolate Smores with Marshmallow, Key Lime Pie, and Canmoli for $2.95

The wine I chose this time was a nice Ravenswood 2012 Sonoma County, Dry CreekValley,Teldeschi Vineyard Zinfandel $67. It is 80% Zinfandel, 12% Carignane, and 8% Petite Sirah. (The 2010 retails for about $25 at Norman's.)

Ravenswood founder Joel Peterson is a terrific winemaker (http://www.ravenswoodwinery.com/#joel/joel_peterson) who is known as the Godfather of Zinfandel. The winery produces a number of different types, including single vineyard versions like Teldeschi, which is owned by the Teldeschi family (http://www.teldeschi.com/OurHistory/tabid/213/Default.aspx)

I have enjoyed all the Ravenswood wines I've had, even including the inexpensive Vintners Blend which can be found for as low as $7.99., and had an excellent visit to the winery in 2011.

The wine we had in March was an enjoyable 2013 Spanish Monte Oton Campo de Borha Garnacha for $34.

Both of our servers - Edgar in March and Irina this week - were wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment