Saturday, February 23, 2013

Excellent Way to Prepare Porterhouse or Rib-eye Steak

I decided to have porterhouse steak as the main course for our dinner tonight. I happened to be on sale at Publix for a savings of $4 per pound. I bought a 1.4 pound beauty for my wife and I to share. I've only cooked a few steaks in my short cooking career, and none of them were terrific until tonight. I searched YouTube for an instructional video. I found one that I liked by Chef Phil Anderson, the Executive Chef of Harris Teeter Supermarkets at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAdqrDqkYgA. I only made one slight change based on another video that I saw.

The process was very easy and successful.

- Bring the steak to room temperature
- Rub lots of salt and pepper into each side. The one change I made was to use freshly cracked black peppercorns instead of already ground pepper.
- Massage canola oil into each side of the steak.
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat cast iron pan as hot as possible on the stove. Do not place any oil in the pan.
- Place the steak in the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Only turn the steak once, and use tongs, not a fork, to turn the steak.
- Place the pan and steak in the oven. To cook the steak rare, cook for 2 minutes. Medium rare - for 4 minutes, and medium for 6 minutes.
- Remove the steak and let it sit for 4-5 minutes before serving.

The results were wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment