Monday, November 12, 2012

Lemartine, Another Wonderful Wine from Poggio Antico

As I have mentioned in previous postings, Poggio Antico winery, located in the commune of Montalcino, Tuscany, is one of my favorite wineries. Poggio Antico is well known for its superb Brunellos. In January of this year, it introduced a new wine -Lemartine, a wine which it produced in 2010. I purchased several bottles during a visit there last summer. I served the first bottle  at a special dinner the night before last. It was terrific. I think the winery best describes this wine as "a hearty, rich, and elegant wine." 

Lemartine is a red wine which is a blend of 50% Sangiovese, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 25% Petit Verdot. The juices of the three types of grapes are aged separately for 10-11 months in 225-liter French oak barriques. After blending, they are aged a further 4 months in bottles before being released.

Lemartine is named after an old stone family homestead built on the Poggio Antico property over a century ago. The wine is classified as a Tuscan I.G.T. (Indicazione Geografica Tipica).

I paid 22 (US$27.28 at 1 = US1.24) per bottle at the winery. I have not seen this wine in the U.S.

The main wine I served at the dinner the other night was a wonderful 2004 Poggio Antico Brunello Riserva. Others such as Wine Spectator, which rates it at 96 points, have already done a superb job of describing this wine.

The menu for the meal was Italian, with the exception of the appetizer:

- Tomato, avocado, mango salsa with chips
- Carabaccia - Tuscan Onion Soup
- Parmesan Cheese Flan (Sformato di Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- Pappardelle Pasta with Umbrian Ragù
- Strawberry, Mascarpone, Marsala Pudding (Budini di Fragole, Mascarpone, e Marsala)

Typical of Poggio Antico's responsiveness to its clients, when I asked for technical fact sheets about the wines I served, they were sent to me within hours,

For an earlier posting on Poggio Antico, see: http://viaggiviniecucine.blogspot.com/2012/03/poggio-antico-winery-i-love.html

The URL for Poggio Antico's web site is: http://www.poggioantico.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment