Monday, March 12, 2012

Poggio Antico - A Winery I Love

During the past 10 years, my wife and I have visited 63 wineries in the U.S., Italy, France, Greece, and Spain. One of our very favorites is Poggio Antico (http://www.poggioantico.com/), just outside the town of Montalcino in Tuscany. We visited in 2002 and 2010.

Poggio Antico produces wonderful wines, has a terrific owner and staff, and is situated in a beautiful location offering spectacular views of the Tuscan countryside. It also has a great restaurant. I strongly recommend Poggio Antico wines and a visit to the winery.

We had a wonderful meal at the restaurant in 2002 and had planned to dine there again in 2010, but it was temporarily closed. Friends of ours had a delicious meal there last fall. Moreover, the restaurant does have wonderful reviews on line: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g635634-d1823661-Reviews-Ristorante_di_Poggio_Antico-Montalcino_Tuscany.html


A View from Poggio Antico

I have exchanged emails with the winery on several occasions, and have always found them very responsive. Most recently, I asked if they could provide me with a fact sheet on a wine I intended to serve to guests last night. I received the requested fact sheet within hours of my request.

The wine I served was a 2004 Altero Brunello di Montalcino, which was part of a purchase I made on a visit there in 2010. It has a well-deserved 92 point rating from Wine Spectator. In my heart, I would rate it higher because many warm feelings come to mind when I drink Poggio Antico wines.

The 2008 version of Altero has been rated an incredible 98 points by James Suckling of Wine Spectator.


Another View from Poggio Antico

For those not familiar with Brunello wine, it is a bold, powerful red. It is one of my two very favorite types of Italian reds. The other is Barolo, which is produced in the Piedmont Region of northwest Italy.

Brunello is made with 100% Sangiovese Grosso, a clone of the Sangiovese grape. The wine is only produced near the town of Montalcino. It must be aged for 4 years. One of many detailed descriptions of Brunello can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunello_di_Montalcino.

The talented owner of Poggio Antico, Paola Gloder Montefiori has managed the winery since 1987, and has a great track record of producing wonderful wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment