Sunday, March 4, 2012

A French Affair - Delightful Dinner with Friends

The other night, my wife and I joined four other couples for dinner at French Affair (http://www.frenchaffairsarasota.com/). My wife and I, and most of our friends, really enjoyed the dinner.

My wife and I have eaten at French Affair four or five times, and have always enjoyed it. A French neighbor described it as his favorite local place for enjoying French comfort food. The chef and owner, Alain Mons, is from a small town in the Perigord area of France. He has operated this restaurant in Sarasota for 31 years, of which 19 years has been at the current location.

One interesting feature of the restaurant is that instead of a wine list, it has rows of shelves of French wines. Diners look at the wines and select one in which they would like. The prices are much lower than at most restaurants, even after adding a corkage fee of about $5.

My wife started with a cream of mushroom soup for $4.50, and I started with Paté Forestier for $7.50. Her soup was nice and my paté delicious.

My wife's entrée was Large Scallops Provençale for $22.95, and my entrée was Moules à la Crème (Mussels in Cream Sauce) for $19.95. My wife and I loved our entrées.

For dessert, my wife had Rustic Tart (peach and raspberry pie) and I had a Very Berry Tart. Both were really delicious.
Our wine was a 2010 Mont Tauch Fitou red wine from Languedoc in southern France for $19.90 plus corkage fee. The grapes used in Fitou include Carignane, Grenache, Lledoner, Syrah, and Mourvedre. The wine was recommended by the chef and was very nice.

The bottom line is that we enjoyed our meal at French Affair, and will go back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment