Sunday, August 28, 2011

Ham Heaven & Devil Dogs

After reading a recent Sarasota Herald Tribune review of this New York-style eatery, a friend and I decided to try it for lunch yesterday. Our lunch was very good, but not ecstatic. However, we intend to return.


The restaurant offers an extensive list of sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers, philly steaks, grilled chicken, wacky combos, pastas, homemade soups, etc., etc.


They offer 10 different types of hot dogs, including N.Y.C., Brooklyn, Chicago, New Jersey, Cincinnati, and Louisiana.


My friend had a pastrami sandwich and I had a Reuben. Both were delicious and very large. The Reuben was $9.79 and the Pastrami sandwich was $10.29.


In my opinion, however, the Pastrami Reuben I had at Pastrami's New York Deli (http://viaggiviniecucine.blogspot.com/2010/12/sarasota-new-york-style-deli.html) was better. I'll have to ask my friend "I" to compare the two. He is currently up north, but tells me that his friends feel that Ham Heaven is the genuine article.


They serve their sodas in cans. Consequently, the sodas can warm up quickly.


They only have about 5 tables, so it could easily become crowded.


You place your order at the counter.


They are open until 3 a.m.


The owner is Rocky Rocchio. One wall is covered with Jimmy Hoffa memorabilia, with some signed to Rocky.


I do intend to return and try their hot dogs as well as their bread pudding.


The eatery is located at 2647 Mall Drive in the Gulf Gate area of Sarasota.


Web site: http://www.hamheavenanddevildogs.webs.com/. The menu is at: http://hamheavenanddevildogs.webs.com/menu.htm




No comments:

Post a Comment