Friday, August 5, 2011

Πολύ Νόστιμο - Another Great Meal at Michael's on East

As I have mentioned before, it doesn't get much better than dining at Michael's on East in Sarasota (http://www.michaelsoneast.com/restaurant.html). Michael Klauber represents the best in running a superb restaurant - from offering creative menus, to serving delicious food, to making his customers feel at home and appreciated.

Every month, Michael's has "Epicurean Adventures" dinners from a different country for $25. For an extra $10, wines are paired with the dinner.

This evening, a group from our wine club had a private Epicurean Adventures dinner in Michael's Tasting Room, on the opposite side of the building from the restaurant. (The Epicurean Adventure dinners are normally served in the restaurant, but Michael's was kind enough to arrange for our group to have the dinner in the tasting room. I arranged the dinner with Ms. Ngoc Phan, who was very helpful, responsive, and flexible.)

The theme for this month's Epicurean Adventure is the Greek Isles (http://www.michaelsoneast.com/cuisine.html?menu=special&mid=35)

Every aspect of the dinner was perfect. Michael greeted us as we arrived. He also treated us to a glass of Michael's private label 2009 Chardonnay from the Mendoza  Valley of Argentina. While my wife and I are not normally white wine drinkers, and we are not fond of Chardonnays, this one was really good.

The meal started with an amuse-bouche of smoked salmon on cucumber. It was very nice.

That was followed by a choice from two appetizers. My wife chose one - dolmades (stuffed grape leaves). This version was a creative and tasty take-off on the normal version - the grape leaves were stuffed with dill risotto and pine nuts served with avgolemono sauce and tsaziki. I had the calamari, zucchini matchsticks, lemon zest, and artichoke remoulade.  Both were was wonderful.

The wine served with our dinner was a Grande Cassagne rosé - a rosé that I really enjoy. (French rosés are very different from their American counterparts.)

There were three entrées. My wife chose Shrimp Sahanaki - shrimp, tomatoes, kalamata olives, spinach, capers, gremolata butter, orzo pasta, feta cheese, and a shot of ouzo.

I had Arni (lamb) Souvlaki - marinated grilled lamb, with Greek Lemon-Roasted Potatoes, Oven-Dried Plum Tomatoes, Grilled Zucchini, and Natural Mint Jus.

One of the diners near me had the third  entrée - Moussaka.

All three entrées were terrific.

The wine served with dinner was a Grande Cassagne red. I didn't check the bottle, but I think it was the 60% grenache - 40% syrah combo. It was very nice. It typically costs about $10 per bottle. It's from Costières de Nîmes in southern France.

Dessert was a choice of baklava or galaktoboureko (Semolina milk pudding wrapped in phyllo with a hint of lemon). My wife and I both had the galaktoboureko. It was really delicious (although I have been spoiled after tasting the home-made galaktoboureko made by my former Greek teacher).

I've become hungry all over again as I've written this posting.

Ms. Ngoc Phan can be reached at 941-366-0007 x 226, or ngoc@bestfood.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment