Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Super-Easy and Delicious Pork Loin

Pork loin and pork tenderloin are two very different cuts of pork from different parts of the animal. The tenderloin is very narrow in diameter, about 2 inches in diameter; and the loin is wide - about 4 - 5 inches in diameter. I have cooked pork tenderloin many times, but not pork loin. In searching the Internet, I found a tenderloin recipe that sounded really easy, and decided to try it on pork loin. The results were terrific - juicy, moist, and delicious.

I found the original rccipe on allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/176359/easy-marinated-pork-tenderloin/) I made a couple of changes to the original recipe. I:
- used a shallow roasting pan rather than a baking dish,
- used a 24-ounce piece of meat rather than 2 pounds, and
- calculated the cooking time on a per-pound basis rather than giving a 2-pound time. 
The recipe below is my version. It should make three to four servings, although the two of us managed to devour the whole piece.

(The way I ended up with a 24-oz piece of meat was that Publix had a sale and the pork loins on sale were very large. I bought a 6-pound loin and cut it into four equal lengths. I froze the three pieces I didn't use.)


Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbsp Dijon honey mustard
salt & ground black pepper to taste
24 oz. piece of pork loin

Directions

1. Cut excess fat off the pork loin.

2. Whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl. Place the meat in a resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour prior to cooking.

3. Preheat oven to 350°.

4. Place the meat in a shallow roasting pan and pour the marinade over the meat.

5. Cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes per pound, until the pork is no longer pink in the center. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 145°. I cooked the 24-oz. loin for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment