Thursday, January 14, 2016

Wine Prices - An Example of a Major Difference

There are significant differences in price for the same vintage of the same wine sold in the same area, so it is worth knowing something about wine prices. I have mentioned this in another posting, but thought I would write about a current example

We love Antinori wines. One Antinori wine that we enjoy is Villa Antinori. It is a Tuscan red. There is also a Villa Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva. This posting is about the Tuscan red.

Here are today's prices from four stores within 12 miles of one another:
                            Regular Price       Sale Price          
Whole Foods         $26.99                   $24.99
Publix                   $21.99                   $18.99
Total Wine            $19.99                   $17.99 (case discount)
Norman's               $16.99                   $15.29 (case discount)

It is important to note that there are sometimes coupons, as well as discounts for case prices:
Norman's always offers a 10% discount for any combination of 12 bottles with prices not ending in 7.
Total Wine frequently has coupons in the newspaper or mail for 15% or 20% discounts.

Norman's and Total Wine are my normal go-to stores. Total Wine has a much better selection, but Norman's often has better prices. If I'm looking for a very special wine, I may go to Michael's Wine Cellar. It has some unusual wines, but is more of a drive from my house.

I always buy enough wine at Norman's to get the 10% discount, and I always use Total Wine coupons when shopping at Total Wine.

If I'm in St. Petersburg, FL, I often buy wines from Mazzaro's Italian Market. Their prices are generally higher, but, like Michael's Wine Cellar, they have some interesting wines I cannot find elsewhere. They also often have some really good deals on a few wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment