Friday, October 2, 2015

Sauteed Sauerkraut with Apples and Raisins - a Nice Side for Bratwurst - Revised

I decided to serve a sauerkraut side dish with the Publix bratwurst I was going to prepare for dinner last night. I couldn't find a recipe that was quite what I wanted, so I started with one I found on the Internet, and changed it to meet my preferences. I was very happy with the results, and found it very easy to prepare. It provides two very generous servings.

At the suggestion of a friend, I added two tablespoons of brown sugar the second time I made this recipe. It significantly improved the taste.

(You can find the recipe that was my starting point at: http://glutenfreedoctor.com/apple-onion-sauerkraut-saute/)

Ingredients

- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 apple cut into bite-size chunks (I used a honeycrisp.)
- 1/2 a sweet onion, sliced
- 2 cups of sauerkraut, drained. (I used Silver Floss Sauerkraut from the refrigerated section of Publix. It is on sale through next Wednesday, October 7.)
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider

Directions

1. Heat olive oil over high heat in a large frying pan.

2. Add the apples and onion, and cook for 5-8 minutes until they soften and brown.

3. Add the sauerkraut, raisins, brown sugar, and caraway seeds; and cook for one minute. Do not cook longer or you may overcook the sauerkraut.

4. Add the apple cider.


No comments:

Post a Comment