Friday, April 22, 2016

Levantine Yogurt Cucumber Sauce

I found this delicious and super easy recipe on the Lemon Bowl (http://thelemonbowl.com/2013/06/cucumber-laban-lebanese-yogurt-sauce.html), a nice web site that I have mentioned before. 

It is used throughout the Levant and is similar to Greek Tzatziki. My mother used to serve it as a side or dip for many dishes such as stuffed grape leaves. It can be used as a dip for pita bread, or as a filling for a pita bread sandwich, or included in a pita bread sandwich with Lebanese chicken, etc., etc.

Instead of buying yogurt, which is called "laban" in Arabic, my mother used to make her own from starter, which she always had.

This recipe serves a minimum of 6, but could serve 8 to 10 depending on how it's used.

Ingredients

- 2 cups of plain, low-fat yogurt. (I used Greek style.)
- 2 cups of cucumber, finely chopped. (I used the seedless, English cucumbers. Each one equaled about one cup.)
- Juice of one lemon.
- 1 tablespoon of dried mint (The original recipe called for 2 tablespoons.)
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (Original called for 1/2 teaspoon.)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (I used white for color purposes.)

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Taste, and add any more of the ingredients if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment