Friday, April 22, 2016

Lebanese Avocado Tahini Appetizer - A Levantine Guacamole

One of the appetizers I prepared for a Levantine dinner recently was this delicious and easy Lebanese avocado - tahini appetizer, which I found at http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/lebanese-avocado-appetizer-abakado-mataheena/161652. I adjusted it a bit to meet our tastes. We and our guests enjoyed it. The recipe below is my version. I served it with toasted pita chips, which I made from good pita slices.

Ingredients

- 3 tablespoons tahini (Available at some Publix stores, Middle Eastern stores, Amazon, etc.)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (Original recipe calls for 4 tbsps)
- 1 & 1/2 cups avocado (Number of avocados needed varies by size. It took me two normal-sized Hass avocados from Publix.)
- 1/4 cup parsley or cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of nice Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
(The original recipe also calls for a pinch of Cayenne. I did not use because one of us does not care for Cayenne)

Directions

Place lemon juice and tahini in a blender or food processor, and blend for a moment.

Pit and peel avocados, and cut into pieces. 

Add the avocado and remaining ingredients, except paprika, into the tahini-lemon mixture, and blend to a smooth paste.

Put on a flat serving platter or in a bowl. Sprinkle with paprika, and serve as is or chilled. 

Serve with toasted pita or arrancas (a crispy Arabic bread - with which I am not familiar)

No comments:

Post a Comment