Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Curried Waldorf Salad - Nice & Easy

This New York Times recipe is delicious, as well as very easy and fairly fast to prepare. I made a couple of changes based on what I had available at home. (http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016499-curried-waldorf-salad)

(The impetus for me to search for a recipe like this and the braised celery I made a day earlier, was my purchase of a Publix Buy One Get One Free (BOGO) sale of two bunches of celery, when I only needed three stalks for a sausage stuffing I'm going to make for Thanksgiving.)

Ingredients
a. For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used bottled)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat-yogurt (I used regular sour cream)
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt to taste

b. For the Salad
- 2 Fuji apples (I used Honeycrisp)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (bottled)
- 1/3 cup lightly toasted walnut halves
- 1 cup thinly-sliced celery, from the heart of the celery
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup celery leaves or flat-leaf parsley (or 2 tablespoons each), coarsely chopped

Preparation
1. Mix together the lemon juice, yogurt, mayonnaise, curry powder, cumin, and salt. Set aside.
2. Cut the apples into 12 wedges. Cut away the core of each wedge and slice into thin crosswise slices. Toss in a large bowl with 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Add the remaining ingredients and toss together.
3. Shortly before serving, toss the salad with the dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment