Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Tasty Meat Rub - Easy to Make

For my birthday and Father's Day, my sister made and gave me a very tasty cooking rub that she had made herself, using a recipe that she found on Pinterest (http://sparklesandastove.com/gift-in-a-jar-for-the-guys-dry-rub/). I have now tried it twice - once on a porterhouse steak and once on pork loin chops. I loved it both times.

I tried it on the steak first, and discovered that I probably should have put a heavier coating of it on the steak. I did put a heavier coating on the pork loin chops, and that worked very nicely. Both times, I first brought the meat to room temperature and then coated it on both sides - first with olive oil, and then with the rub. Both times, I cooked the meat in a grill pan.

The rub recipe from Pinterest is:
- 1/3 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper

Mix the ingredients in a bowl and stir until blended. According to the Pinterest recipe, the results are supposed to be a deep red mixture. However, my sister's mix was more of a deep brown. The mix could then be put into a small jar or  Ziploc bag. The Pinterest posting says the mixture is enough for one or two grilling sessions. Since I prepared only one large steak and four small pork loin chops, it is enough for a number of such meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment