Friday, September 28, 2012

Tasty & Easy Moroccan Cucumber & Olive Salad

As an accompaniment to an apricot chicken and couscous main dish I made last night, I made the salad described below. It was very easy and very tasty. Since there were only three of us, I just used one cucumber. Since I did not have za'tar, which I love, I used and 1/8th of a teaspoon of marjoram and an 1/8th of oregano.

I found the recipe and commentary below at the following web site:

Adapted from Paula Wolfert’s Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco, this salad is delicious without the olives, and more delicious with them. Seedless cucumbers are a must. Serves 6-8 as part of a tagine menu.
2 English cucumbers, sliced thin
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt + extra
1/4 tsp za’atar (sumac), or marjoram, thyme or oregano, or a mixture of two or three
Handful of cured black olives, rinsed and cut in half (optional)
Lightly salt the cucumbers and let them sit in a colander set over a bowl, for 15-20 minutes. Rinse and dry, and place in a mixing bowl with remaining ingredients except olives. Mix well. Chill until ready to serve. Add olives just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment