Friday, December 9, 2011

Revised Review of the White Horse Pub - Worth It for the Beer, Not the Food

The following is a revised version of my initial posting on the White Horse Pub. It is based on input from the friends with whom I had eaten there. I really value their input because of their many experiences in the UK.

After reading a nice review of the White Horse Pub (http://the-white-horse-pub.com/#), I mentioned it to friends who had spent considerable time in the UK, and who love British pubs and pub grub. Five of us tried it for lunch yesterday. I had never lived in the UK. My four friends have lived there for a total of 22 years. I think our bottom line is that we would not go back unless we were only out for a glass of good beer.

The White Horse Pub used to be the Coach and Horses British Pub. When my wife and I first tried it over 10 years ago, it was decent, but it went downhill. Last summer, it was purchased by new British owners and the menu was redone.

The five of us tried three different dishes:
- Two had fish & chips for $15.
- Two had shepherds pie for $13.
- One had liver and onions topped with house-smoked back bacon for $12.

Two of us had mushy peas as our side.

The two who had fish and chips thought the dish did not begin to compare to the real British version. One friend described the fish as a frozen piece of cod with a soggy coating. To experience fish and chips close to the British version, he recommends the Celtic Ray Irish Pub in Punta Gorda, where the fish is more than an inch thick and cooked to perfection.

My friend and I who had shepherds pie thought it was decent, but nothing to write home about.

My friend who had the liver and onions enjoyed the dish, but thought it was not great. The same friend has enjoyed mushy peas many times, but did not care for this version.

Another friend commented that the chips (french fries) were standard institutional fare, and that the garden peas that he chose as a side were hard and cold.

Two of us had Old Speckled Hen on draft. It was fantastic. One had Boddingtons on draft and really enjoyed it.

Another friend commented that the desserts offered were not typical of British fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment