Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A "Navy Day" Lunch at Cafe 522, Sonoma

During our recent stay in Sonoma, I had the pleasure of having a “Navy Day” lunch with my host and four of his former Navy colleagues. They get together for lunch about once a month. The group was very welcoming, and I enjoyed chatting with them.

My host and two of his colleagues had served as Commanding Officer of the naval activity at Skaggs Island, which had been located nearby and which had closed in 1993.

One of the colleagues who had served as Commanding Officer at Skaggs Island had later served as the Deputy Commander of a major naval command. That same colleague had worked in the local wine industry for a number of years after his retirement.

I was the only one in the group who had not done a full career in the Navy, and the only one who had not been an officer. I will refrain from saying that, on the basis of my Navy enlisted experience, I did my best to mentor these officers and keep them out of trouble.

We started with a drink at Murphy’s Irish Pub (http://www.sonomapub.com/) at 464 1St E in downtown Sonoma. The group normally starts at Murphy’s, then has lunch somewhere else, and often returns to Murphy’s.  I could easily see why they liked to start at Murphy’s. It had a very warm and friendly atmosphere.

After our start at Murphy’s, we headed out to lunch. We walked two blocks to Cafe 522 (http://www.cafe522.com/ ) at 522 Broadway, on the south side of Sonoma Plaza.

The cafe was relatively new, but you would never know it. The food was excellent and the service was efficient and friendly. We all had a nice time and tasty meals.

My meal was great! I had macaroni and cheese with Vella cheddar and jack cheese, baily-long ranch bacon, and garlic-thyme breadcrumbs for $12. Vella Cheese (http://www.vellacheese.com/) is a Sonoma company that produces fine artisanal cheeses.

Although, the lunch and dinner menus were not extensive, I could see at least five other dishes I would like to have tried.

One member of the group brought a bottle of wine from his son’s winery. It was a very nice 2009 Hindsight Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  That member not only treated us to the wine, but to our whole meal. Thanks Jim!

Another brought a 1999 Petit Sirah from Deer Park Winery in St. Helena. The wine had been produced at a time when he had played an important role at the winery.

No comments:

Post a Comment