Friday, March 11, 2016

Fava Beans - Ful Medammes - A Popular Middle Eastern and East African Dish

I recently enjoyed a Middle Eastern dish called Ful Medammes (Foule Mudammes, etc.). It is a fava bean dish that is a staple of Egyptian life. It is served there with pita bread as a breakfast dish. It is also popular in various forms in other Middle Eastern and East African cuisines from Ethiopia up through the Levant. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ful_medames) It can be served as an appetizer or side dish.

The one I tried is a ready-to-serve canned Egyptian version sold by California Garden, which sells five different types, including Egyptian, Lebanese, and "Secret Recipe."  (http://californiagarden.com/index.php/cms/products). I added other ingredients, suggested by a California Garden rep whom I called. The canned Egyptian version has fava beans, salt, lemon juice, sunflower oil, and spices. It is very mild. 

The size of the can was 16 oz. I added a quarter of an onion chopped, about a cup of canned chopped tomatoes, a tablespoon of lemon juice, and a tablespoon of olive oil. Then I heated it. I loved the results and will have it again. The next time, I will have it with pita bread.

It can be purchased at Middle Eastern grocery stores and online at Amazon, etc. I purchased it at the Oasis Cafe on U.S. 41 in Sarasota.

The California Garden Ful Medammes products are produced in the United Arab Emirates.



No comments:

Post a Comment