Monday, May 11, 2015

Terrific Avocado, Corn, Tomato, Onion, and Bell Pepper Salad / Side Dish

In searching for a side dish to go with enchiladas on Cinco de Mayo, I found this terrific & easy avocado, corn, tomato, onion (and bell pepper) salad by Paula Deen on foodnetwork.com (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/corn-avocado-and-tomato-salad-recipe.html). I made a few adjustments to match what I had available, and added bell pepper to the main ingredients.

One could easily add finely chopped fresh jalapeƱo pepper to spice it up a bit. I loved it so much, I made it again within a week of the first try.

Ingredients
- 2 cups cooked corn, fresh or frozen (I used a 15 oz. can of Libby's whole kernel cooked sweet corn)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved. (I diced a whole Tasti-Lee tomato)
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion (I used yellow.)
- 1/2 a bell pepper, diced (I added this ingredient to the Paula Deen recipe.)
- 1 avocado cut into half inch pieces (I used a small Hass avocado and cut it last so that I could immediately put the lime sauce on it and keep it from changing color. Next time, I'll probably use two small avocados. There are a number of YouTube videos with easy instructions on how to cut and deseed an avocado.)

Dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest (Instead of measuring, I used zest of half a small Persian lime.)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (I used the juice from the half a lime I had just zested.)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
Combine the corn, tomato, onion, bell pepper and avocado in a large glass bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients in another bowl, pour over the salad, and gently toss to mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment