Monday, June 24, 2013

A New Orleans Dinner (Mostly)

Last Saturday evening, I made a New Orleans-style dinner for special friends. I was very happy with the results. I'll post the menu here, and do a separate post for each of the dishes. The menu was:

Appetizer 1 - Cajun Spiced Pecans

Appetizer 2 - Crab Ravigote

Main dish - Creole Gumbo over Rice

Side - Cornbread (I used a tried and true southern cornbread recipe rather than a New Orleans cornbread, even though I found a recipe for New Orleans cornbread.)

Dessert - New Orleans Bread Pudding.

All of these dishes are delicious keepers.

The wines I served were:

Korbel Brut California Sparkling Wine, made in Methode Champenoise style.

Cren del Ape Cortese from the Piedmont Region of Northwest Italy. This is a nice, very inexpensive white summer wine. (Cren del Ape means, "Bee Ridge." The Cortese grape is principally grown in northwest Italy.)

2009 Siltstone Oregon Pinot Gris for the white wine drinkers

Campo al Mare Bolgheri red wine from the Maremma area of Tuscany (60% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, & 20% Cabernet Franc)

All of the wines were very nice.

I created a CD of lively Cajun songs, which I purchased at Amazon.com. I played these songs during the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment