Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Really Good Chili Recipe

Last night, we had our friends J & M for dinner. I made chili, corn bread, cole slaw, and chocolate espresso cakes. This was the first time I had made chili or cole slaw. I found very nice recipes for both on the Internet. 

The recipe for the chili was from http://www.food.com/recipe/award-winning-chili-105865
I added a couple of cloves of garlic.  The creators of the recipe use venison in their version, but I used ground sirloin. The recipe is a bit spicy, but not firey. I chose the recipe because it had many, many terrific reviews.The recipe is:

http://www.food.com/recipe/award-winning-chili-105865

Ingredients
    •  1 lb ground beef
    • 2 onions, diced
    • 2 cloves garlic
    • 1 green peppers, diced
    • 1 tablespoon jalapenos, finely chopped
    • 1 (14 ounce) cans Mexican-style tomatoes ( like Rotel)
    • 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
    • 2 tablespoons cumin
    • 2 tablespoons chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon paprika ( smoked if you can find it)
    • 1 (14 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1 cup water
Toppings
    • sour cream
    • cheddar cheese
    • green onions
Directions
  1. Cook ground meat with onions and peppers in dutch oven.
  2. Drain excess grease and add tomatoes, seasonings, and water, bring to a boil.
  3. Add beans, cover and simmer 1-2 hours.
Serve with toppings.

The cole slaw recipe is from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/creamy-cole-slaw-recipe/index.html I added bacon and only use one teaspoon of celery salt. I also used apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.

The corn bread is easy to make and always turns out good. This recipe, which has had many good reviews, can be found at: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmothers-buttermilk-cornbread/Detail.aspx

I learned to make the chocolate espresso cakes, which are delicious and made in ramekins, at Publix' Aprons Cooking School. (I'm too lazy to type or scan the recipe.)

1 comment:

  1. It's good searching the internet when one needs a recipe. I am constantly doing it, even if I don't need to cook a meal right away, I just save them for later. It makes dining greater.

    ReplyDelete