Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Nice Dinner with High School Classmates

We spent a delightful evening last Monday with some of my high school classmates with whom I had become acquainted/reacquainted at our 50th reunion last summer. Two came with their spouses and one with her cute and very-well behaved dog. One spouse is a retired pilot who has had some very interesting experiences, including being the pilot of Air Force One for one president and the pilot of a unique, around-the-world commercial charter flight. This flight was from north to south across the poles with a landing at McMurdo Station in the Antarctic.

We prepared a 4-course meal. I made bruschetta, spaghetti all'amatriciana, arista alla fiorentina, and cipolline alla fontina (pearl onions with fontina cheese sauce). My wife prepared a dessert of panna cotta. The arista was not as juicy as the previous time I had made it. I probably cooked it about 5 minutes too long. The cipolline alla fontina was ok, but not exciting. It was the only new dish for me and I probably won't make it again. It was from the Beautiful Italy cookbook. The spaghetti and bruschetta both turned out fine.

I served two red wines - a Mantellassi Morellino di Scansano from the Maremma, Tuscany and a Rocca delle Macie Chianti Classico - both wines that we enjoyed.

Our guests brought us some very nice wines.

We look forward to getting together with them again.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this lovely evening and a delicious dinner along with the delightful wine....Gypsy & I agree that I was naughty for eating 2 plates of spaghetti........ How lucky I am to have been there with "new/old" friends. ciao for now, Sami

    ReplyDelete